On this year's Neos Conference I presented a talk on updating Neos. I tried to answer three questions:
- Why you should be updating
- When you should be updating
- How to do updates
The conference was again streamed and recorded, so you can watch my talk below:
These are the slides for the talk:
The very short version of the talk is:
Because you get new features and bugfixes.
Whenever a new version is released.
Read & follow instructions, test & deploy.
As promised, here are pointers to more background information. I tried to group them by topic.
- Neos release cycle and background information: https://www.neos.io/features/release-process.html
- Release notes can be found on: https://neos.readthedocs.io/en/stable/Appendixes/ReleaseNotes/index.html
- Update instructions are linked in release announcements and collected at: https://docs.neos.io/cms/references/upgrade-instructions
- Changelogs for each branch of are in the corresponding online documentation: https://flowframework.readthedocs.io/en/stable/TheDefinitiveGuide/PartV/ChangeLogs/index.html or https://neos.readthedocs.io/en/stable/Appendixes/ChangeLogs/index.html – use the version switcher on the bottom left!
- Neos announcements: https://discuss.neos.io/c/announcements/28
- Neos blog: https://www.neos.io/blog.html
- PHP versions: https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php
- Elastic product end of life dates: https://www.elastic.co/support/eol
- Composer commands:
Code adjustment examples
Luckily most of the changes that need to be done manually are very similar across projects. So the following changes done to the sites of the Neos project can serve as examples!
The update from Neos 4.3 to 5.3 for www.neos.io took a while… Most of that was due to a lot of changes around the marketplace package. Check out the PR at https://github.com/neos/Neos.NeosIo/pull/373
The docs.neos.io site has seen an update from Neos 5.3 to 7.1 (https://github.com/neos/Neos.DocsNeosIo/pull/59) and smaller upgrades for the following minor versions:
- to 7.2: https://github.com/neos/Neos.DocsNeosIo/pull/63
- to 7.3: https://github.com/neos/Neos.DocsNeosIo/pull/66
Updating Neos – Why, When and How © 2022 by Karsten Dambekalns is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Cover based on a photo by Clint Patterson on Unsplash
Join the conversation
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Leave a reply